Friday, December 2, 2011

BLOG # 17

This past March my grandmother suffered a stroke this affected me emotionally. When she was taken to the hospital they had to do surgery in her brain to vacuum out the clog that was not allowing blood to circulate in her brain. After the surgery she was placed in the intensive care unit for a couple of days, so that the doctors can know how my grandma was responding to the surgery. The doubt of not knowing if my grandma's body was going to react to the surgery is one of the hardest moments I have ever gone through. When the anesthesia's effect passed the doctors discovered that she was not going to be able to move the left side of her body. The stroke also affected the right side of her brain, causing her to sometimes not remember little things.For example she tells us one thing then five minutes later sh is asking the same question. When they told me that she was not going to move properly, this broke heart because my grandma loves to cook, to dance, to go out with her friends but after this she is not going to do her daily life. Right after she was released my family agreed that if she was staying in rehab center , my grandma would be able to take her therapies daily which would make her rehabilitation faster and in no time she could be walking at least with a walking cane. Being there for a couple of months and she was already being able to move her leg was great.Seeing my grandmother work so hard for her rehabilitation, made me realize that we can really accomplish what we want we just have to set our minds to it and work really hard to get there. This incident also affected the way my family is. Before everything my family would at least do get together's once a month but this changed because my grandma was the one made the family come together. Every thanksgiving and Christmas everybody come to a big dinner/party at her house,however this year we all spent it in separate places. This affects me greatly because I sometimes feel like my family is breaking apart from each other. I do hope my grandma gets better because I am not only worried for her well being but also to my for my family  to be as close as we use to be. This how my grandmothers illness affected me.

No comments:

Post a Comment